Prevent lost work days and perform at your best
The Flu virus is spread through particles in the air distributed by infected coughs and sneezes. Since we all breath the air, it is a perfect vehicle for spreading the virus, especially in areas where people work closely with others.
UNDERSTANDING FLU IN THE WORKPLACE
Flu is a virus which means that antibiotics are ineffective. Therefore, people suffering from flu will need time to recover and let the body fight off the virus. The Flu virus is spread through particles in the air distributed by infected coughs and sneezes. Since we all breath the air, it is a perfect vehicle for spreading the virus, especially in areas where people work closely with others. The virus can also spread through contact, for example touching door handles or surfaces where the virus has been left by an infected person. Therefore, hand hygiene is so important in fighting the flu virus.
WHY VACCINATE YOUR WORKFORCE?
Some of the reasons to vaccinate:
- Reduce employee absence costs
- Improve employee wellbeing
- Help to prevent transmission of flu in the workplace
- Allow employees access to vaccinations they may not be able to get elsewhere
- Improve employee health choices
- Convenience for employees and employers
WHY CHOOSE DEARS PHARMACY?
- We will provide you with pharmacists who are highly skilled in vaccine administration
- Our pharmacists will advise each person individually about the flu vaccine and any adverse effects that they may need to look out for
- We will visit you onsite and arrange everything
- Everyone will be supplied with an information leaflet
THE KEY DETAILS
When to Vaccintate?
Vaccinations for flu are available from October each year. The best time to vaccinate is between October and November as flu is more prominent in the winter months. This will cover you for that year’s strain of flu.
Why vaccinate every year?
Every year there are different strains of flu. Once vaccinated, you are only covered for the strain of flu in the vaccine. The Department of Health issues recommendations each year regarding which strain of flu should be included in the vaccine. The pharmaceutical companies then produce this vaccine and distribute it for administration. All flu vaccines used by Dears Pharmacies are those recommended by the DOH.
Enhanced Quadrivalent Flu Vaccine
There are 2 main types of flu viruses. More than strain may be circulating at any one time, and different strains can appear at different times in the flu season. The 4-strain flu vaccine protects against four types of influenza – two viruses from the A class and two from the B class. The 3-strain vaccine only covers 3 strains of the influenza virus, but the 4-strain vaccine covers an additional flu virus strain, giving you broader coverage. The 4-strain vaccine has been shown to be more effective than the 3-strain vaccine in protecting against more serious cases of flu.
There are a number of ways we can help you, designed to fit your company…
1 | We can provide on-site vaccination by pharmacists (minimum of 10 people).
By providing on-site vaccinations, your employees don’t have to take time off work and we can dedicate as much time as required to ensuring all employees who wish to have a seasonal flu vaccine are accommodated.
- A private room with 2 chairs and a desk or table (more chairs if more than one pharmacist)
- A list of employees (name and DOB) who wish to have the vaccine, prior to the clinic
- Access to a wash basin (hand hygiene)
- An individualised vaccination service (providing advice and reassurance to each employee)
- Information leaflets for each employee
- Vaccinations against seasonal flu
- We will bring emergency equipment in the very unlikely event of an adverse reaction
- A list of contraindications, prior to the clinic
2 | WE CAN PROVIDE ON-SITE VACCINATION BY PHARMACISTS (MINIMUM OF 10 PEOPLE).
You can purchase vouchers for your employees who can attend one of our pharmacies in Edinburgh, Fife and Glasgow. If it does not suit you or your employees to have an on-site vaccination clinic, then your employees can attend one of our clinics in Edinburgh, Fife and Glasgow to have their vaccine.
3 | Individual vaccinations
Dears Pharmacy also provides the flu vaccine on an individual basis.
On-site FEE: Free for 10 or more employees.