Dears Pharmacy Pneumonia Vaccination Service can now offer protection against 20 strains of streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
You’ll receive a one-off vaccination that offers long-lasting protection against pneumococcal pneumonia. You can have the vaccination at any time of the year and no annual booster doses are needed.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is a serious infection that can affect anyone. Pneumonia can spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. Each year in the UK, approximately 5-11 adults out of every 1,000 get pneumonia.
Who is this service for?
Our Pneumonia Vaccination Service is suitable for people aged 18 and over.Pneumonia has the potential to affect anyone of any age, but it’s more common and can be more serious in certain groups of people including:
• Elderly people
• People who smoke
• People with other health conditions, such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, or a heart, kidney or liver condition
• People with a weakened immune systemThe vaccination is also useful for those travelling to areas which have higher levels of pneumococcal infections. Examples include countries in Africa and South East Asia.
Who is it not suitable for?
• Pregnant or breastfeeding
• Currently having chemotherapy or radiotherapy
• Had an allergic reaction to any injections or vaccinations in the pastThis list isn’t a full complete list but suitability will be checked before the vaccination is administered.
Our pneumonia vaccination costs £85. It is available with no appointment necessary following a short consultation with our pharmacists.