Soleve Sunburn Relief
Soleve Sunburn Relief is the first and only licensed sunburn treatment that contains ibuprofen to relieve pain.
What is Soleve?
The only product of its type, clinically proven Soleve Sunburn Relief lotion is a medicine for relieving the pain and soreness of mild to moderate sunburn. It is suitable for adults and children over 12 years old.
How Soleve works:
SOLEVE COMBINES TWO ACTIVE INGREDIENTS TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE RELIEF
If you are unfortunate enough to get sunburnt, Soleve lotion combines two active ingredients to deliver effective relief right where it’s needed: an effective analgesic, ibuprofen, and an emollient, isopropyl myristate.
Ibuprofen is a well-known non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is a powerful painkiller and reduces inflammation. Soleve is specially designed to deliver therapeutic levels of ibuprofen directly into sunburnt skin – precisely where it is needed.
Isopropyl myristate, is an emollient which effectively soothes and moisturises the skin by trapping water. Rehydration of sunburnt skin is very important to promote the normal healing process and to make the skin feel more comfortable by reducing both the skin tightness of sunburn and the frictional irritation between sunburnt skin and clothing.
How to use Soleve:
When used on children over 12 years, application of the lotion should be performed by (or at least supervised by) an adult.
- You should start using Soleve lotion as soon as possible after you notice the first sign of sunburn – usually skin redness.
- Lightly apply the lotion to the affected areas and gently massage it into the skin. You can re-apply it as required, up to 8 times daily, but leave intervals of at least 2 hours between applications.
- Treatment should continue for a maximum of 2 to 3 days (a 100ml bottle of Soleve contains enough for a full 2 to 3 day treatment course), by which time the pain and tenderness should be getting better.
You can use the cap as a measure - individual doses should not exceed 12ml (one capful), and the total amount applied in any one day should not exceed 100ml.
Who is Soleve Sunburn Relief intended for?
Soleve is recommended for adults and children over the age of 12 years, to relieve the pain and soreness of mild to moderate sunburn.
Who should NOT use Soleve, and instead be seen by a doctor?
Soleve is not suitable for everyone, and it is important always to read the product’s Patient Information Leaflet carefully.
Soleve is NOT suitable in the following circumstances
- People with severe sunburn – e.g. blistered skin, intense pain, intolerance of any contact with clothing, fever, chills, feeling sick and extreme exhaustion or lack of energy.
- If more than 20% of an adult’s body surface area, or 10% of a child’s body surface area is sunburned.
- Babies or children under the age of 12 years with any type of sunburn.
- People whose sunburn has worsened or persisted for more than 2 to 3 days.
- People with severe dehydration and/or heat stroke who need urgent medical attention – e.g. high temperature, confused or weak, or having convulsions (fits).
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you are suffering from any of the symptoms above, you should see a doctor.
For more information, have a look at the Patient Information Leaflet https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27438
Soleve is available in all Dears Pharmacy as part of range of products and services provided as part of our Travel Clinic.
This service is available in / from the following pharmacies:
Select your preferred pharmacy to visit their page and enquire about this service or just pop in when it suits you.