Skin Scanning Service
Why should I look after my skin?
There are a wide range of recognised skin conditions affecting over thirty-five million people in the UK, around a third of which could benefit from professional medical treatment.
Some examples of the most common types of skin conditions can include acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea and ringworm.
There are a wide range of products and treatments available for all sorts of skin conditions, such as creams, lotions and tablets. The use of these treatments – along with advice from a GP, pharmacist or dermatologist – all which can help to manage your condition.
How does our skin scanning service work?
The Skin Scanning Service at Dears Pharmacy is a private service, which costs £65 per consultation.
As part of the service you have the option to have a consultant dermatologist review your skin condition and give you a diagnosis, advice and treatment if needed. If you’ve already been diagnosed with a skin condition, the service can provide alternative dermatology care.
Common skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea and ringworm, can be cared for by your GP, pharmacist or both. The Skin Scanning Service at Dears Pharmacy is a private pay option for people looking for dermatology care outside of the NHS. The Skin Scanning Service at Dears Pharmacy is run by ScreenCancer. They are responsible for the operation of this service, which includes the diagnosis and a private prescription for treatment if appropriate.
Who is the skin scanning service suitable for?
The Skin Scanning Service at Dears Pharmacy is suitable for adults and children (aged two and above). If you are aged under 16, you’ll need to come to the in-pharmacy appointment with a person with parental responsibility as they will need to give their consent for you to access the service.
The Skin Scanning Service at Dears Pharmacy could benefit those with:
• A new skin condition to diagnose
• A current skin condition which has got worse (such as an eczema ‘flare up’)
• A current skin condition not responding to treatment
Unfortunately we will be unable to scan any areas of skin that are:
• An intimate part of the body (such as genitals or areas of the breasts covered by a bra)
• Completely covered by a tattoo
• Covered by an excessive amount of hair
If the service isn't suitable and you're concerned about your skin, talk to your GP. Some skin conditions are common and relatively easy to identify. Dears Pharmacy and can provide advice on how to treat some of these common skin conditions, or when you might need to see your GP.
Oily skin accompanied by spots most commonly appearing on the face, back and chest.
Red, flaky, crusty patches of skin covered with silvery scales commonly found on elbows, knees, the scalp and lower back.
Redness of the skin (flushing), sometimes accompanied with spots and visible blood vessels most commonly appearing on the face.
Red, cracked, dry and itchy areas of skin, often in the creases of elbows, behind the knees and on hands.
Typically a ring shaped red or silver rash usually occurring on the face, neck, scalp or feet.
Some skin rashes can indicate an underlying condition which may require urgent medical attention, such as a rash associated with meningitis. When in doubt about the seriousness of a skin condition, it’s always best to seek help from a healthcare professional.
How does the skin scanning service work?
There are two stages to the Skin Scanning Service.
STAGE 1: Private consultation with your Dears Pharmacist
This involves discussing your skin condition, filling out a questionnaire and consent form, and takes around 30 minutes.
• A Dears pharmacist will ask some questions about your skin, your medical history and any previous treatments you may have tried, so we can give a ScreenCancer consultant dermatologist the information they need for the analysis and medical assessment
• You’ll be asked to choose the area(s) of skin that you would like to be scanned – your Dears Pharmacist will be unable to advise you on which areas to scan
• Your Dears pharmacist will scan the area(s) of skin by placing a dermatoscopic imaging device over the skin. The scan is painless and the device will emit light to illuminate the area of skin you wish to be scanned. Another image will be taken using the device to identify the part of the body where the skin condition is located. The images help a ScreenCancer consultant dermatologist to make their medical assessment
• The images and information collected during your consultation are sent securely and electronically to a ScreenCancer consultant dermatologist for review and analysis
STAGE 2: Scan analysis, advice and possible treatment
ScreenCancer will contact you by phone or email within two working days of your scan to provide you with access to your personalised report. The report will include details on your condition and helpful advice, as well as any over-the-counter product recommendations you could try, if appropriate. If a prescription medication is suitable, ScreenCancer will get in touch with you by phone to discuss the treatment option. A private prescription from the consultant dermatologist will then be prepared for you to collect from your Dears Pharmacy (subject to additional charge).
Benefits of the service
Receive your scan results within two working days.
The Skin Scanning Service costs £65 per consultation.
The fee you pay for this service will be paid to ScreenCancer.
Please note that only one skin concern can be assessed per consultation. Any treatment prescribed will be charged separately at the time of collection from a participating Dears Pharmacy. Any products purchased as a result of this service will also be charged separately.
Our Skin Scanning Service is available in the following locations:
Edinburgh: Oxgangs and Drylaw.
Fife: Dunfermline and Glenrothes.
This service is available in / from the following pharmacies:
Select your preferred pharmacy to visit their page and enquire about this service or just pop in when it suits you.