Blood Test Service
Dears Pharmacy provides private blood tests across our sites in Edinburgh & Fife.
If you are feeling unwell your GP may schedule some blood tests to help diagnose the cause. This is an important part of healthcare provided on the NHS.
However, private blood tests offer an alternative route for people seeking information about their health.
Pricing: Any number of tubes = £30 (depending on selected test)
Our trained phlebotomists can carry out this test across our locations.
Why Have a Private Blood Test?
There are many reasons why someone may choose to have private blood tests:
- Private blood tests allow you to take control of your health. By understanding your health markers, you can make informed and healthy lifestyle choices.
- For routine tests, private blood tests allow you to bypass GP waiting times for both the taking of samples and getting your results.
- Screening tests are not always available to you on the NHS.
- You may have a specific health reason based on your family’s health history or lifestyle.
- Gain reassurance and peace of mind when you know.
Can You Get a Blood Test Without a Doctor?
Taking a blood sample is a simple procedure carried out by a phlebotomist. A phlebotomist is a person specially trained in taking blood. This could be in the form of samples for medical tests or it could also be for blood donations, for example.
The blood samples are sent away for testing. When you receive your results you can discuss them with your GP.
How Much Does it Cost?
Blood tests come as either single tests or panels of multiple tests. So the cost depends on how many and which tests you choose.
You can also choose the tests available through one of our partners, such as London Medical Lab & Medichecks.
Get in contact with our private blood testing service today to find out more about our blood test prices and to see a full list of our tests, please see the following: Blood tests
How Long do Blood Test Results Take?
Once the blood has been taken, the tests need to be done quickly to ensure accuracy. So, most test results will be available within three to five days.
What Blood Tests Do I Need?
Our qualified pharmacists can help you choose the right blood tests for you. You may be interested in your general health or there may be a specific problem you want to check for.
The types of blood tests we offer are extensive. Some of the most common types of blood tests include:
- Fertility hormone tests: if you’re starting a family both you and your partner can have your fertility hormone levels checked.
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or HIV: sexually health may be an important issue for you, so have a blood test for STIs or HIV.
- Travel health: before having travel vaccinations to you can have a blood test to check your existing immunity. If you have returned from a tropical destination, you can also get tests for infectious diseases such as the Zika virus or Dengue Fever.
- Check the health of your organs: private blood tests for thyroid function or the health of your liver or heart are popular choices.
- Wellman or Wellwoman suites of tests: have a thorough check-up with a range of tests tailored to your gender and age.
- Lyme Disease: Ticks that carry Lyme Disease are more common in the Highlands than most other areas of Scotland and the UK. A private blood test will help diagnose if you’ve been infected.
It’s important to remember that if you have symptoms or are feeling unwell, our pharmacists may advise you to see your GP.
Not Good with Needles or Blood?
If the sight or thought of blood or needles makes you feel squeamish, Dears Pharmacy phlebotomy service across Edinburgh & Fife can help.
We offer a supportive and discrete private blood testing service for Edinburgh & Fife where your wellbeing is paramount.
Our healthcare professionals are reassuring and will make you feel comfortable before taking the samples. Our staff can provide you with as much – or as little – information about tests are you choose.
Our staff will patiently make sure you are feeling ok before you leave.
Have a Home Blood Test Kit but need Help to take the Sample?
There are many providers of private blood tests available to the consumer. Dears Pharmacy partners with several private blood test companies including Medicheck, London Medical Labs to name a few.
However, taking your own blood samples may not appeal to you.
So, if you purchase a testing kit, Dears Pharmacy’s phlebotomy service can take the blood sample for you.
Price: Get in contact with us to find out more about our private blood testing service across Edinburgh & Fife.
Location: Find your nearest pharmacy
This service is available in / from the following pharmacies:
Select your preferred pharmacy to visit their page and enquire about this service or just pop in when it suits you.