Blood Pressure: MayMeasure
Blood pressure is one of the most widespread topics of discussion amongst healthcare professionals today. Here at Dears Pharmacy we would like our customers to be aware of the facts about blood pressure, as maintaining a healthy blood pressure can be key to maintaining a healthy life.
We are proud to support MayMeasure across the month of May which a global awareness campaign led by the International Society of Hypertension.
What is blood pressure?
Blood pressure can be defined as the pressure of blood against the inner walls of the blood vessels, varying in different parts of the body during different phases of contraction of the heart and under different conditions of health, exertion etc. Blood pressure is monitored as it gives medical professionals an understanding into your risk of further health problems. High or low blood pressure readings may indicate the risk of a cardiovascular-related disease.
How is blood pressure measured?
Blood pressure measurements, usually carried out by a healthcare professional, are performed using a special cuff. The process is completely painless and non-invasive. The cuff, containing a pressure gauge, is placed around the arm and inflated with air. After the cuff is inflated the healthcare professional will let air out, while measuring a patient’s pulse and recording the pressure observed on the gauge.
Blood pressure is then presented as a two-number pressure with systolic(beating) pressure over diastolic (resting) pressure. The pressure units involved in this reading are millimetres of mercury or mmHg.
A normal blood pressure reading averages 120/80.
What are the effects of high and low blood pressure?
Hypotension is the medical term used to describe low blood pressure. For the most part, low blood pressure in healthy individuals is not concerning. This is not true for elderly people as hypotension could signify inadequate blood flow to vital organs. A sudden drop in blood pressure in people of all ages could also be dangerous, as the body may not recover from initial shock. Low blood pressures average 90/60.
High blood pressure, or in medical terms hypertension, affects about a third of the UK population. If left untreated, hypertension can lead to heart attack, stroke vascular disease and kidney failure. As many as 7 million people in the UK are living with undiagnosed high blood pressure, without knowing they are at risk.
At Dears Pharmacy, we are committed to support with our FREE blood pressure measuring service as well as stocking a range of blood pressure machines and additional equipment to help you stay fit and active.
Am I at risk of high blood pressure?
Some characteristics of people that are at risk of hypertension are as follows:
- Heavy drinkers/smokers
- Have an unbalanced diet
- Have a high salt diet
- No exercise
- Family history of high blood pressure
How can Dears Pharmacy help my high blood pressure issue?
If you are concerned about having high blood pressure, do not hesitate to speak with your local Dears Pharmacy. High blood pressure can be treated through minor lifestyle changes alongside medication.
Some services that our pharmacists provide to treat your high blood pressure are as follows:
- Free BP Service: Our pharmacists and their teams are on hand daily to check your blood pressure and inform you about your personal wellbeing. A regular blood pressure checked can help to identify anything of concern and is the first step in treating high blood pressure.
- Health Checks: Our pharmacists and their teams can support with measuring your blood pressure, diabetes check & cholesterol and provide tips on how to improve your health and well-being. This includes a tailored report on your results and recommendations.
- Nutritional Advice: Our pharmacists and their teams can provide you with free advice on how changes in diet and exercise can reduce blood pressure and lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Supplemental & Medications Advice: Taking supplements and medication has been proven as the most effective way to treat high blood pressure. We can provide you with a FREE medication review to help you take the right doses at the right time and inform you on any possible side effects.
- Smoking Cessation: If you are looking to stop smoking we offer a FREE service where we can provide you with a range of nicotine replacement products or medications to suppress your cravings for cigarettes.
- Blood Pressure Machines– Our pharmacies also stock blood pressure machines to support you to check your readings in the comfort of your own home.
Visit your local Dears Pharmacy for more information about blood pressure or have your blood pressure checked in store by our pharmacists and their teams.